For the last two weeks, I’ve had a bunch of interviews and code challenge tasks I was taking which took up a lot of my time. Add that to #DadLife and the result is two weeks with no content. The pressure is off for the moment so I’m picking it up again. So for today:
We are given an N length array with numbers ranging between a few negative million to a few positive million. If there exists at least one 3-tuple (P, Q, R) combination of values that satisfy the conditions below, return 1 otherwise return 0.
The brute force approach worked ok, but as usual didn’t make the performance tests.
Here we have to check a few conditions.
a < b + c
a > Math.abs(b - c)
And thus our first attempt looks like:
We are obviously looping too much. So I decided to optimise this by first introducing a sort. This should then hopefully reduce it down to one loop. Here is where I made a terrible mistake that messed me up for the better part of 2 hours.
Do you see that condition that checks if our three numbers match our conditions? Yeah, when switching to a sorted approach I was using I as my iterating variable and accidentally inserted 1 instead of i on one of my conditions. So instead of this:
I had this:
If you can’t see the difference, welcome to the club. So it passed a few local tests by happy accident but wouldn’t pass the larger tests. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong until I was pulling my locks out. Then after a little break, I came back and saw it.
Correcting the typo fixed the issue and the code passed everything.
Typos are evil.
Today I am working on a summation problem made to look like building a tower out of cubic bricks. It’s fun to brute force sometimes.
Coming back to Rust code after a bit of a hiatus with a simple problem… The Two-sum problem. Finding numbers in an array. Yay, fun.
King Pinn: I Salute You. I’m driving halfway across the country and this song is on repeat. Rest in Peace Tonderai Makoni. You were awesome.
After a few weeks off I’m back to business. This is just an update post detailing plans for the rest of the year.
At last we finally have the great reveal, our mystery project was implementing RSA encryption in rust.